Sunday, February 06, 2005

Plumbing the Depths

I put up a dog/deer fence Friday afternoon. My hands are still feeling quite raw. As I was putting the clasps on the fence, checking the stability and the tautness of the strand I kept thinking about having a dog, hopefully Murphy. I thought about how a deer could jump over the six foot high fence and destroy a lot of things in panic. All in all I was quite successful. If you ask Barb that is a monumental occurence. I noticed a problem with one of our doors leading into the garage area and she looked at me and said, "Promise me you will not try to fix it." It wasn't the frankness of her statement but the truthful implications of it, that bothered me. But I'm apparently out of my slump and can do anything. Maybe a house of cards.

Well, I was really looking forward to taking a shower and getting ready for the raucous night as two friends were going to come over and stay for a while. And as I turned the corner to the shower I noticed that water was coming back up through the drain. Hmm. I plunged it and then I snaked it. And while I was snaking it more water came back up and it was colder than the water I was stepping in. Oh, and then the toilet started girgling like a stew, a very slow boil. I realized that perhaps I shouldn't try to take the toilet out of its setting and that my arms just weren't long enough or skinny enough to do the job. So, I called a plumber.

The plumber was quite nice and as of 930 Sunday morning I can now take a shower and flush without trepidation. Metaphor: plumbing the depths of capability. Most of the time life is about common sense and having a fair calculation of what is possible through your skill. I know I have a lot to learn. The water coming back up into the shower was not the problem. Nope it wasn't. The water coming back up into the shower was a symptom signifying that something deeper was askew. Perhaps I need to consider some attitudes and behaviors as symptoms of a greater and deeper need.

1 comment:

AJ said...

You have an eye for a good analogy.