Sunday, February 13, 2005

One

Every Sunday the church I am a part of takes communion. We gather in two rows down the middle isle. Three people are at the front: one holding the bread in either hand and two on either side of the bread holder holding cups/goblets of juice. This goes on every Sunday I every Sunday I am touched by it. There is something special and powerful when a whole room comes together and moves toward a defined goal. It seems to me that they no longer come just as individuals but as a collective: one body of believers moving toward the one body of bread.

His body was crushed and torn for us. His blood was spilled for us. He then said that whenever we partake of this meal that we should "do so in remembrance" of him. I don't think that that is just a mental ascent or just thinking, "Jesus." I think it is saving a place for him at the table, or in our case, in line.

It is also powerful when friends you work with or play with or live close to are standing at the front serving you the body and the blood of Christ symbolized through the elements. You look into their eyes and you know that they know you, that they have seen your faults and still love you. Here is exemplified the fact of ongoing, enduring, steadfast love. And yet how great is the fact that Jesus is our friend, "No greater love has anyone than this that they would lay down their life for their friends. You are my friends if you do what I command."

I must give props to one person though. Eric Eckstein played his guitar and sang this morning. "I Came to the table...." Very beautifully done. It touched me because I know Eric. He was one of the leaders in the Alpha class that I took. He wants to know more about Jesus and what it is to live out an authentic loving relationship with God and with his family. So thanks, Eric.

And thank you, God.

No comments: