Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Adoption of Murphy

Barb and I are in the adoption process. His name is Murphy and he is an American Staffordshire Terrier, also known by the name, "Pit Bull." Now, before you freak and ask why or, if you live in Marin, before you get the idea to sue me beforehand, let me explain a few things.

Pit bulls are not human aggressive, honest. It is not in their genes to be human aggressive. Pit bulls were reared to be fighting dogs. The owners of these dogs wanted dogs who were intellient, athletic, tenancious and had a high pain tolerance. If a pit bull was neither of these they would kill it. Since the owners had to separate the fighting dogs they would have to reach into the pit. If a dog bit the master it was a very good sign that the dog would later be killed. By doing this they actually elimanated from the gene pool pit bulls who would be aggressive toward humans.

Number 2, I'm a good person and promise not to slap Murphy in the head with pictures of you so that when he sees you he will go into some kind of Pavlovian fit.

Number 3, pit bulls are dog aggressive. They have to be watched when out in dog parks and have to be supervised when they play with other dogs. First of all, I've been to dog parks around here and I must say that I don't want any dog of mine hanging out with the riff-raff that I've seen--a bunch of yelping, ill-mannered hooligans.

Number 4, I'd just like to repeat number 2.

Here's a site: www.badrap.org


No comments: