Wednesday, November 09, 2005

November

Ah, November. Did I ever tell you it is my favorite month. Actually, I wish November could be a season, or even a year. I love it no wherever I am--growing up in the South or living out here on the West Coast. I have tried to think about why I love it so much and I can only give a few thoughts. Maybe, I'm having thoughts of Guns and Roses, and that kicking song, that builds up, " . . .the cold November Rain."

First, it's my birthday month.

Second, it's when both sides of my family (Reed and Elder) would gather.

Third, nothing is really expected toward the end of the month--just eating food, watching tv, and sleeping.

Fourth, I love being warm. Growing up we had this great wood heater that would suffocate the house with heat. I love the warmth and I love to see the smoke billowing from chimneys.

Fifth, gee, it's getting kind of thin. Perhaps I love how everything slows down. I think this season mathces my "rhythm." Does that make sense to you? I have friends who are definitely Spring people, or live for July. For me, I prefer the Fall. Actually, since being married, most of the trips Barb and I take are during this time. Did you know that "the Lost Coast" north of here and Monterrey, south of here, are both very beautiful. Every bit as beautiful as it is in summer, and that's saying a lot.

Anyway, how about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason,

november is also my favorite month--at least from Thanksgiving on. But the anticipation of Thanksgiving and shopping and decorating makes the whole month of November my favorite! Your wife and I enjoyed very yummy peppermint hot chocolate last night. Also, why I love November.

Jason Elder said...

Yeah, the decorating and seeing everything (indoor and outdoor) change is quite nice. Tonight Barb was talking about your minty time together. She really enjoyed that.