Monday, July 11, 2005

The World is Shrinking and I'm Happy

One of the great things about our world shrinking and becoming a global neighborhood is that so much information is shared by so many people. Yesterday Larry Martin from International Justice Mission (see the link to in the margin to the right)spoke and gave a stirring message of being rescuers of those who are in peril. Robert has written a very good summary of it.

There were several things that encouraged me yesterday. First of all, our little church in Corte Madera, CA is growing deeper in our thirst and hunger for just causes. This has been a dream of mine and the center of a lot of prayers. For so long I have longed to be a part of a believing community that is actively engaged in community issues. I've been doing a good bit of reading, thinking, writing and praying about this. God is shaping me, for what I do not know, but I do know that it's really moving me to walk closer with God.

Secondly, there were people from San Jose and Los Angeles who came up to here Larry speak. It's good to see people my age saying, "Jason, I'm just trying to find what God wants me to do." On guy was interested in building a clean water supply system for developing countries. Two others were interested in helping stop sex traffiking in southeast Asia. National Geographic reported that about 27 million people (10% of the poplulation of the United States) are in illegal bondage around the world.

Thirdly, as I see others who are stirred beyond the seduction and anesthesia of apathy, it encourages me not to slow down, but to read voraciously about such topics and to do small things that, in the long run, make a difference.

To stop now in despair--that would be foolhearted--to stop now of fear--that would be faithless--to not go silently--that would only be fair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello this ia anonymous again here to make some comments about your blogs.
I came upon your blog quite by accident and started reading your blogs from the beginning and enjoyed them very much, and believed that you were a very sincere person who cared about people, but then I noted a radical change in you which was unbecomming the writer I thought I had become to know, with links to the Anti-American Human Rights Watch, and I believe Ameriblog which is run by a gay rights activist (John Aravosis) and your condemnation of Senator Cochran from your home state without first finding out why he voted against the apology concerning lynchings, and he was also joined by other Senators from outside the South, yet you appeared to cast him as a racist and bigot. but from what I have read about Mr. Cochran is that he is one of the most respected members of th Senate.
But then you did an about face with your July 11, blog, and even displayed a link about the pie ladies of south Mississippi. I wonder though if that story might be lost by your attack on Mr. Cochran which is an attack on the people of your home state because he is a voice of the people of his state.
Words have consequences thus you should use them wisely. Maybe there is a unique position for you in Gods plan but I believe it is through spreading his word to help change hearts and minds and not through radical political web sites that have complete disdain for America and Christains.
Maybe I will reveal my name to you sometimes which would tell you nothing, but in the meantime I will keep reading your blogs and remain Anonymous.