Saturday, October 29, 2005

Break-fast

Today has been a good day. Barb and I broke away from routine this morning (Saturday) and had breakfast at the Dipsea Cafe. The Dipsea is where Barb and I spent many Friday mornings when we first started dating. I worked 40 plus during the days and she worked about as much during the evenings and we were both full-time students whenever we could squeeze in the classes. The only time we could have a date was Friday mornings at Dipsea. It was good then and it was good today. I have a good wife/girlfriend.

Tomorrow I'm speaking on the topic, "What Jesus Said about Authenticity." Just a few days ago all I basically had for content was "What Jesus Said about Authenticity . . .he's for it." I've added some content since then. I'm using the Matthew 6 text: when you give don't be like the hypocrites; when you pray don't keep babbling; when you fast don't be like the hypocrites. I turned to Isaiah 58 and it rocked my world. God desires more than formalities. He deals with the heart, not the head most of the times. He's more interested in spiritual formation and not just spiritual information. Interesting: it seems that God desires justice, mercy and humility more than any other thing.

Well, hallelujah, I have one extra hour to prepare/to sleep tonight.

Adios.

Jason

1 comment:

Bil said...

formation vs information...funny you should mention that. Ive found myself saying a lot recently that church seems like a cram session for the heaven entrance exam rather than a place to experience community and grow spiritually.