Wednesday, October 13, 2004

And when all the people saw it, they also praised God

"Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

That was the cry of a blind beggar named Bartimaeus. His days were filled with wondering and begging. He sat on the road side hearing the gravel crunch under the feet of the passers-by and what is it in the distance? A group, a clan? He asked them, "What's going on? What's happening?"

Jesus is passing by.

He apparently knew of Jesus and his reputation for changing lives and life styles and so he starts screaming, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

Within the entourage there were those who told him to keep his mouth shut, but he refused to go silently and to remain in the darkness.

Jesus was indeed passing by, but Jesus also stopped.

"What is it that you want me to do for you?"

"Lord, I want to see."

"Then receive your sight, your faith has healed you."

After having received his sight he followed Jesus and along the way praised him. When all those within the entourage saw it they also praised God too.

"Lord, I want to experience the antithesis of all my weaknesses and all my failings. I want to know steadfastness, boldness, consistent love and compassion. There are many who desire me to shut my mouth, but I have heard of you before and I know that you will not leave me the way that you have found me. I just want to see and by asking to see I am saying I believe, so I will follow and praise you, though sight unseen."

Luke 18:35-43

No comments: