Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Violet


Violet Simone Elder

I thought I was finished with all-nighters when I graduated seminary. Not so. Not so at all.

Last Wednesday the alarm clock went off and, as is our custom, we snoozed once. I rolled over and Barb looks at me and says, "I've been having contractions for 2 hours."

"Well, I'm awake now!"

She went to work and got home about 11 and I finished up a meeting and got home around 1. We took a walk around the block to help the contractions increase. Boy, did that work! We arrived at the hospital at 430pm, some twelve hours after the contractions began. Germantown Methodist Hospital astounded us with their knowledge, efficiency and care. It gave us confidence in the midst of all that is called "Labor and Delivery."

Barb was fantastic and must have one of the greatest levels of pain tolerance I've ever seen, perhaps rivaling that of Jack Bauer or Curly on the 3 Stooges. We felt so blessed that Barb was able to go natural. Dr. Anderson said, "Violet was good to your body." Barb and I were musing one early morning how much pain she had been in but yet knew that c-sections were so much worse. Blessings. Blessings. Blessings. Oh, and coffee.

Several people said, "Look at Violet now and remember her, because in two weeks she will look like a different baby." So I've decided to take a picture of her a day for at least two weeks just to see the development. Besides her skull bones are floating according to the doc, so it'll be interesting to see her head move toward pangea.

Six pounds, 10 ounces and 20'' of greatness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you guys! When I clicked to read your blog tonight for the first time in quite a while, I thought "I wonder if they have a kid yet?" Love from us! Let us know if you're going to be in Mpls again for meetings...we're right here.

Tiffany said...

Congratulations!! She's so beautiful.

Jason Elder said...

Thanks Heather and Tiffany and all the other well-wishers! Appreciate your thoughts and prayers!