Friday, December 02, 2005

Our Fearless American Staffordshire Terrier

So, the past few days here north of Ring Mountain have been windy, wet and wild. The wind whipped up pretty hard for about 2 days. On the San Rafael/Richmond Bridge (which is across water) a big rig was blown over by the wind (I suppose the shell was empty). A few trees were damaged around our little house. The door to our entrance (our entrance is a greenhouse) was beaten half-past-dead so I have to go get a new one.

And then, there is Matches. You've read about her before. She's a pitbull, ooppps, I mean, American Staffordshire Terrier. She's an inside dog. She has to, absolutely has to, be in the same room as a human. She sleeps 20 hours a day, never barks, fetches okay, and uses the potty in the backyard, of course. Well, this is the most rain she's seen since we got her at the near end of the rainy season this year. And, I think she just doesn't like rain. She doesn't mind a wet backyard but rain from above is not her thing. So all this week I've been having to push her scrowny tail out to the backyard and stand out there in the rain for her to go!

So before we put her in her crate for the night we open up the door and she usually goes out, but not last night. It was still pretty stormy at 1030 but I open the door and just assume she is going to the backyard, when all of the sudden I look and she has not left the doorway but is peeing on our doormat!!!!!! Oh the Humanity!!!!! I started crying out laughing at her and said, "You are the biggest punk I've ever seen." I mean, this is a prank a college friend would play. She then shakes the dew off her lilly, looks up at me, pauses, steps over the defiled doormat and comes right back in and lays down.

Well, she's a pretty smart dogs as dogs go, so today I'm teaching her to deep clean.