Thursday, November 04, 2004

There is a season

Ah, back at the controls. I've been under the weather for several days but seem to be fairing a bit better. With a cough like this who needs cigarettes?

About ten or so days ago I attended a conference on how to lead a group through change. I spent several days trying to pack it down to a brief summary. I realize that that is one of my weak points (summarizing), so here is my synopsis:

Leading a group through change is about making sure that everyone has the same understanding about the vocabulary being used. This is called "mental models." I say, "What we really need is leadership that is accountable." And you and I may have different opinions of what leadership is or constitutes and we may also have differing thoughts about the essence of accountability. We also run across this with music that we use for worship, even "worship" itself. Do we really need music to worship? Hmm.

Further, it is about being pliable and being considerate and thoughtful about the learning process of yourself and others. What? Others don't look at the world the same way I do? The Presidential elections proves that 32 million others (approximately) see things differently, no matter who we voted for.

Vulnerability: we need to provide an emotionally safe atmosphere for everyone.

Openness to change: in our debriefing time a co-attender said, "What I've come to realize is that I'm going to have to get used to change, rapid change for the rest of my life." 'Tis true.

That's that for now. I hope to get back into the swing of thangs soon with this.....

Peace be unto you, Jason

No comments: